Friday, August 19, 2011

RUMBA'S CAFE

RUMBA'S CAFE
513 CENTRAL AVENUE
JERSEY CITY, NJ 07307
201-216-9655
August 18, 2011

After attending doctor's appointments all day for my daughter and husband, I was so hungry. My husband probably knew that I needed a good meal in me, so he took me to a spot he knew to be an authentic Cuban spot. As we drove there, he told me of its reasonable prices and reliable delicious dishes. Our total for the both of us was $13.00. You can't beat that for good food!! Here is my review.

Service -  This is a self- sit down cafe. Service is mediocre. Menu for this establishment goes through a Monday to Sunday schedule, certain dishes for certain days. This I thought was a great idea, that way you as a customer know that the food you'll be eating is made fresh for that day. Wait staff are uniformed. Clean. Food will arrive within minutes of ordering.

Food - (Ropa Vieja w/ yucca and yellow rice) - This is a popular Spanish dish made of shredded beef. The beef in this dish was so favorable. The taste of the cilantro was found in every spoonful I took to my mouth. Moist. It was seasoned along with green and red peppers, I couldn't help but steal some more peppers of my husbands plate. The beef was so juicy that it dripped onto the rice, flavoring it as well.  

The yucca, slow- cooked with onions was a side dish to the meal. Yucca is normally hard to season. But, with the onions it is a harmony of flavor with the beef. The yellow rice, finally!! Rumba's is the spot for real yellow rice. Not that bagged stuff. As the plate sat on the table, the smell of sofrito sang in my nostrils.

The only issue I had with the entire experience was that the food arrived warm. Yes, I do know that it is fresh but I would of loved for it to have been piping hot.

Recommendations - Yes! Yes! and Yes! This is a place I would definitely recommend for great food at a low price. It is a yes to impress your date. You will not be disappointed in the foods at all.

1 comment:

  1. While I agree its a great option to take a friendor date to, I dont agree it's a first date place though.

    ReplyDelete