Friday, August 12, 2011

CRAB SHANTY RESTAURANT


CRAB SHANTY
361 CITY ISLAND AVENUE
BRONX, NY 10464
AUGUST 11, 2011

I got a call from my younger sister that my mother wanted to go out for lunch. We were in the mood for some sort of seafood. Naturally, I would've recommended a local fish market, and cook it home instead, but my sister decided to drive us to a spot she frequently goes to after work hours. I agreed. It was to spend time with mom anyway. Here is my review.

ServiceThe place has kind and generous waiters who are knowledgeable of the menu. When food arrives you don't hear the frequent "who ordered....?" line. Instead, the waiter will put your order right in front of you and tell you what you ordered. They know who ordered what dish or dishes, depending on the size of your party. A barrel of large apples greet you as you walk in the door. Free of charge. Just to see my mother smile from that gesture alone made my day. 

Food - Snow crab with rice - Steamed. Best way to have them. Easy to break. Juicy. Side of melted butter to compliment the crab. Not salty. Fresh. The rice, although, was the typical bagged rice I despise. You know, the uncle ben's quality. Not a fan. But as fresh as the snow crab was, and knowing that it is not a place known for it's rice. The crab compensated for it. So it wasn't much of a bother.

New England Clam Chowder - Not too creamy. Served hot. Potatoes could of been bigger, but flavor was bountiful. Enough flavor of chowder to not really need potatoes. Excellent.

Dessert (Chocolate Cake) - Homemade. Fresh and warm topped with whipped cream. This is where hot meets cold in a richness of sweetness. Chocolate frosting melted and poured over your piece of the cake as you cut into it.

Recommendation - Definitely Yes!! This is a family-oriented town, located by a marine harbor. Lovely area. You would see water and boats. It would be great for a lunch date or for a family nite out.

No comments:

Post a Comment